- License Plate Recognition System to Tackle Illegal Parking
- Registration Process of Residents Participation Scheme
#1 License Plate Recognition System to Tackle Illegal Parking
The motion: Shall a camera equipped with vehicle license plate recognition system be installed in our district to take enforcement actions against illegal parking? *
Registration Process of Residents Participation Scheme
What is the “Resident Participation System”?
In our inauguration announcement published on 1 January 2020, I mentioned that a poll system will be set up to let residents understand my preliminary views on district council topics. Residents will be able to vote using a new online system, as more objective method to quantify the opinions of residents in our district so as to summarise and reflect them in the Council.
When will it be launched?
The original system was expected to be operational for the District Council meeting in March 2020. However, the original design of the system required residents to register in the street sessions in person. Due to the fact that the Pandemic became more serious since January 2020. We avoided conducting street sessions other than for the distribution of disease prevention resources, so as to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. As such the launch of the new poll system was postponed. As the Pandemic situation in Hong Kong has been eased recently, we will resume the registration for the poll system in the coming weeks and conduct street sessions at various locations in our district. At the same time, I have adjusted the system design to allow residents to send proof of address via Whatsapp for registration (Note 1). After the first round of registration, we will temporarily suspend registration to make way for the first public vote on district matters. After the vote, registration will resume.
How do I register as a “Participating Resident”?
Residents of this district must bring along proof of address (Note 2) to register as a “Participating Resident” by the following methods before they can vote online:
1. Register in person at our office (see http://nhl.hk/contact-our-office/ for office hours);
2. Register at our street sessions (see the following list for the schedule); or
3. Send Whatsapp message to 55465506 saying “RPR” (Note 3), and attach the proof of address.
The registrants will register as individuals, and must be at least 18 years old. We will enter your information into a program to generate a verification code, which would represent the “Participating Resident”. You need your verification code for your vote to be calculated. “Participating Resident” only need to register once, and enter the same verification code for different voting occasions. Residents are requested to keep the verification code properly.
Street Station Timetable
- July 14 (Tue) 19:30-21:30 Main Entrance of Hong Kong Garden
- July 16 (Thu) 19:30-21:30 The Main Lobby of Sea Crest Villa Phase I and the Main Entrance of Sea Crest Villa Phase II
- July 18 (Sat) 09:00-12:00 Main Entrance of Lido Garden
- July 21 (Tue) 19:30-21:30 The Footbridge of Sea Crest Villa Phase IV
- July 23 (Thursday) 19:30-21:30 The Podium Lift Lobby of Sea Crest Villa Phase III
- July 25 (Sat) 09:00-12:00 Tsing Lung Tau Minibus Station
How do we protect privacy?
When your verification code was being generated, only your address and the initials of your first name (such as for “Ng Hin Lung”, we will only enter “HL”). After the verification code was generated, we will delete your detailed address and name in our system. Your verification code will be in the following format:
[Name of Estate or Village][Phase (if applicable)] – 00000000 (eight-digit number)
For example, for a resident living in Block 8 of Hong Kong Garden, he/she might get a verification code of HKG2-12345678.
Other than the verification code itself, we will not store any data of “Participating Residents”, and the verification code alone cannot reversely retrieve personal information.
When will we vote?
From time to time when matters arise, voting notice will be announced on our Facebook page “伍顯龍 Ng Hin Lung” or via Whatsapp messages*.
* Residents may freely opt-in for receiving Whatsapp message for voting notice by leaving their contact numbers. In order to properly receive our notice, residents must save our number 5546 5506 into their phone. Residents’ contact numbers have no relationship with the verification code.
Why not set up a voting post on Facebook, but to set up a separate system?
Because of the fact that not all residents use Facebook nor attend to our Facebook page nor have joined district groups, it is impossible for a Facebook voting post to fully reflect the public opinion in our district. Setting up a separate system can reduce the bias of survey. At the same time, in the past online surveys, we found a large number of duplicated votes. Therefore, it is necessary to implement a verified mechanism to prevent “fake accounts” or voting bots so as to improve the credibility of the survey.
Note 1: Registering at our office or street sessions, your proof of residence will not be saved throughout the whole process. But when you choose to Whatsapp information to us, such action will inevitably leave your data on our device. Although we will delete the information as soon as practicable after processing your registration, we recommend that residents who are concerned about the possible leak of information register in person at our office or street sessions.
Note 2: The valid address proof can be any of the following documents that can show the name and address of the registrant within the Tsuen Wan Rural Constituency, namely between Ka Loon Tsuen and Lido Garden:
1. Bills issued by public institutions (such as water/electricity/gas bills);
2. Documents of government departments or judicial institutions;
3. Statements or notices issued by banks, insurance companies or MPF approved trust companies;
4. Fixed bills for fixed-line phones/mobile phones/pay TV/Internet.
Note 3: RPR means Register as Participating Resident.
Updated on 5 July 2020.